Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Memories

Christmas morning in our family meant that the children could come down stairs AFTER 7:30 am. They would wake up much earlier, but Christmas didn’t start until 7:30. They were then allowed to open their stocking and then we had breakfast. Breakfast was always Rice Pudding. This was a tradition Mark brought home from serving a mission in Norway. Hidden in the rice pudding was an almond. (Remember, Fay always got it) Whoever got the almond was awarded a dollar. This last year Mark took me to Disney World. While there we found a wonderful cookbook from Norway. I finally was able to make the Rice Pudding, or Rice Cream in Norway, the right way. I made it today just as a practice run before the real thing on Christmas morning. It was so easy, and I have never tasted anything like this! I am attaching the recipe, so you can use it too, if you carry on this tradition. It can be easily made the day before and left in the fridge. I love you all and had lots of fun getting phone calls from each of you today. The girls are still wondering how Thom managed to beat them all! Gotta love that boy!

From a kitchen in the Antartic? (We are in the middle of a blizzard here!)
Love you tons
Mom

Rice Cream
¾ C long grain rice, not minute rice
½ t salt
4 C Whole milk (I used skim and it was just fine)
½ C Sugar
1 t almond extract
1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened to taste
½ C chopped almonds
1 whole almond

Cook the rice and salt in milk in a double boiler until rice is soft and mixture is thick, about 1.5 hours. (I ended up cooking it for 2 hours. You can make your own double boiler by putting a smaller pot into a larger pot.) Add sugar and almond extract. Chill. Add chopped almonds and the whole one. Stir in the whipped cream.


But the real reason for writing this is thst I wanted to share an experience. Since our last RS general meeting where President Uchtdorf spoke about service, I have many times, planned my day around what I could do to bring a smile to someone's face. Last Monday, we had 70 mph winds and had ice and compact snow in parking lots. At Fred Meyers I got out of my car and started my trek to the store, when I saw a very elderly lady trying to get to the store also and without falling. She had a cane and was leaning on it very heavily. I walked up beside her, and linked arms with her and told her how difficult this weather makes it to get to the stores. We walked all the way to the store like that. I had never met her before, but on that day, I showed an older lady some respect and care that she deserved and most of all, I put a smile on her face!

1 comment:

Melissa Bunn said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm excited to try it! I bought all the ingredients this weekend.